Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Devotions January12, 2010

Today's devotion came from Luke 12:22-34. In this passage, Jesus is telling his disciples not to stress over all of their earthly needs, because if they are focused on God, he will take carer of him. v. 24- Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap: which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls? v. 27-28: Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If God then so clothe the grass, which is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith? God knows what every plant, and every animal needs to survive, and he provides for them. How much more will he provide for his children, who he created in his image? verses 29-31 says- And seek not what yea shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. For these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. We don't need to worry about food or clothing, because God knows we need them, and will provide. All we need to focus on is God, and what he wants us to be doing. We all get too wrapped up in our careers, and trying to get ahead in this world, when we should be focusing on God, his word, and serving him. Verse 34 says- For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. If focus on earthly goals, and not God, our heart will be in this world, and not on him. Hebrews 12:1-2 says- Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
All we need to worry about, is focusing on God, and running toward him.

This devotion has been a special blessing to me As I continue work down here in Hawaii, I know I am right where God wants me. I pray that God would draw me closer to him, and some me his will for my life when this job is done. Luke 22:42b- nevertheless, not my will, but thine, be done. Regardless of what I want, I want God to put me right where he wants me. He wants to give me the very best, all I need to do is let him :-)

1 comment:

  1. PTL! That's one of my favorite passages. It frequently comes to mind, especially in this particular part of my life, where I'm often asked, "What are you doing?" I should memorize this passage. People think I'm crazy. LOL!, but I'm just trying to wait on the Lord and stay focused on him until he shows me for certain exactly what is the next step he would have me to take. One of my favorite statements is from Rich Tozour. He said, "If there's always a difference between faith and foolishness, somebody forgot to tell God." He was referring to Abraham's faith in following God, and I often feel like that too. I know that God will show me what he'd have me do in his perfect time though. I also love and remember a Hudson Taylor quote that fits well in this part of my life. It is, "Move men by God through prayer alone." God bless and have a great day in the Lord!

    ReplyDelete